Long Tail Keywords are one of the most important concepts for a website owner to understand. The following are the six key areas:
- In virtually every market, there are far more niche goods than fat head(common search). And this trend is growing.
- The cost of reaching those niches is now falling. Because of Search, broadband penetration, online markets are reseting the economics of retail. In many markets its now possible to offer a large variety of products and services.
- More variety does not cause a shift in demand. Customers need a way to find niches. Recommendations and rankings are a great way to do this.
- Once there is a large selection, the demand curve becomes flat and very wide.
- All those niches add up. Although none sell in large numbers, there are so many that collectively they add up.
- The shape of the long tail curve shows us that the market is diverse. As diverse as the the population.